Political groups in the European Parliament
The Members of the European Parliament sit in political groups.
The MEPs of the various countries come from over 165 political parties. To make work easier, they are organised into seven political groups in the European Parliament. Sometimes the MEPs switch from one group to another in the middle of the term. Some MEPs have remained uncommitted and do not belong to any political group.
Political groups in the European Parliament:
- Group of the European People’s Party, EPP (Christian Democrats)
- Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament, S&D
- Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, ALDE
- Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, Greens/EFA
- European Conservatives and Reformists Group, ECR
- Europe of Freedom and Democracy Group, EFD
- Confederal Group of the European United Left – Nordic Green Left, GUE/NGL